Sunday 13 June 2021

Eeeeeyes Right!

 So, after eight months, three surgical procedures and countless pokes and drops into my eyes sight was restored to my left eye a few weeks ago. I have to say the whole thing has been highly unpleasant. I had no depth perception so I could not paint or judge distances with any certainty. My right eye could only really focus on things about ten inches or so away and preferably backlight so my Kindle, tablet etc have been life-savers.

So I was jolly glad to start painting again about three weeks ago. It took some time to get back in the swing (my eyesight is about 80-90% of what it was before) but as you can see I have added quite a few figures to the Classic 20mm project. Figures are all Jacklex.

Sir taking the salute - I need to add a few more bases I think.


I have added another seven base unit in my favourite advancing pose and have one more such unit left to paint before I need to put in another order.


I have even had time to add to the rebel ranks.

Butternut - this season's must-have.


During my enforced absence I have obviously had a lot of time to make plans, especially now as I took the decision to take early retirement in February.  The plan is to post every Sunday as a motivator. I will be concentrating to begin with on the 20 and 28mm ACW collections plus the French in Mexico using the excellent new Jacklex range which frustratingly was launched a few weeks after I lost my eyesight.

There is no guarantee that my eyesight may not go again but for the moment I am enjoying life once more, especially as the day before my last surgery I picked up my new best friend, Lottie.



Lottie is a 6 month old Labrador cross who did not have the best start in life. Her three previous owners were all working families who probably didn't realise how much work is required with a very intelligent and energetic puppy. 

In true "One Dog and Her Man" style it seems want she needed was a pensioner to train. She's got him walking her at least twice a day, throwing a ball and even convinced him to get her a paddling pool for fun in the garden. Clever girl!






24 comments:

  1. Wonderful news. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is terrific news Matt - I'm delighted things have gone well. Onward and upward - soldiers look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent news Matt, l am so pleased for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your great news , I hope things keep improving and the dog is a great asset - dog walking is good exercise .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lottie is being a great help - after 8 months I was suffering sunburn from the fridge light. Now I need to burn off those extra few ounces around my middle!

      Delete
  5. Great news, Matt. Excellent soldiers too!
    All the best
    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very excited to be back in the painting seat!

      Delete
  6. Great to see you back painting again Matt, and the dog is a beauty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lottie is a marvellous companion, I was feeling house bound after all those months so its good to be free with someone who appreciates it too!

      Delete
  7. I don't know how you manage to achieve such a great finish on your Jacklex figures Matt - excellent work. Three owners in six months, that's lockdown for you I guess but I'm sure she is settled in for good now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian. Yes no worries here, she has definitely found her forever home!

      Delete
  8. Great news! My biggest fear is losing my eyesight. My second is the dog. If you wanted a black lab, I would have let you have Smaug, who is gnawing on my foot as I write this…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I was planning on getting a black Lab boy next year, but I heard about Lottie's story, saw the pictures of her and well, the rest is history!

      Delete
  9. I have never, ever, regretted my decision to take early pension while I still had some life in me. Turned out even better than hoped for me (despite the steady decline in my eyesight) and I wish you the same success.

    Labs can make marvellous companions and I don't just say that because my first puppy was a black lab back in 82?

    Lastly, well done on the Jacklex! I don't really need more 20mm ACW but.... I would be remiss not to get some.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying life to the maximum at the moment and Lottie is a great partner as we wonder the local fields and woods!

      As for Jacklex they are really great figures to paint and fit in well with the plastic ranges, especially Airfix.

      Delete
  10. As with others, I was so pleased to see a post on your blog, to read this news and to see the beautiful painting that you have done. As good as ever. Dogs are a joy and Lottie looks a beauty!
    All the best for continued good eyesight. I'll look forward to your regular updates.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete