Wednesday, 5 August 2026

First Rhode Island Detached Militia 1861 in 28mm

 These figures are my first addition to the 28mm Rebels & Patriots ACW collection for a few years now. They are part of a separate First Bull Run collection, because I like the early war uniforms.


The First Rhode Island was one of Lincoln's 90 day volunteer units and raised in April 1861. They fought at First Bull Run before being mustered out in August that year. They were commanded by a certain Ambrose Burnside.

However, I like them for their smock tops and havelocks.

Slightly better angle on the flag

Perry miniatures  with flag courtesy of the ever useful Maverick Models.

I have enough figures for another few more 12 figure units and I am considering using some for the 2nd Rhode Island because their flag is pretty cool too! 

And I believe they fired the first volley at First Bull Run.

14 comments:

  1. A most dandy looking unit there Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that those early war uniforms have a lot of appeal and with Ambrose Burnside in charge what can possibly go wrong?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will cross that bridge when we get to it🙂

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I wonder what dizzying heights lay in store?

      Delete
  3. They look great, really nicely done. Got to like the early war, so many weird and wonderful units took part before it all become more "normal"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice indeed Mark…
    A classic early war unit/uniform.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to see American Civil War units in one of the early uniforms.
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them - there are more to follow!

      Delete
  6. They look super Matt - I never made much of my short-lived ACW project, but I'm still interested in that war, and have a soft spot for the First Bull Run armies. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks - I must admit I have not been this excited for a project to progress for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete