Sunday 20 April 2014

Looking Back To 2012


So, while I wait for the paint to dry on the latest German infantry, a quick look back at what I managed to complete in 2012. 12 infantry, 1 artillery piece and a MG and crew. Clearly I need to up my game here-"Crush the Kaiser" has over 50 figures per German infantry battalion for example. 3 battalions to a regiment. I definitely need to burn the proverbial midnight oil.


What I hope does show in the photographs is the charm of these little figures. The Tumbling Dice "Old Contemptibles" range has been around for years now, it covers the whole conflict and is very reasonably priced. Stood side by side with 1/72nd scale plastics they appear small-but they match well enough when spaced out the wargames table. Besides the range has pretty much everything you need in one place.

But enough rambling. I hope that the bases on my next batch dry sooner rather than later (I decided to use oil colour and a "quick dry" additive as the base coat a few hours ago - still looks wet to me!). Will post them as soon as I can.

Tumbling Dice 20mm figures completed 2012.

11 comments:

  1. Love the figures - nice job. I'm also interested in how well Tumbling Dice work for this period. I've only really been using their figures for a couple of years, and - since Paul never did get around to putting photos on the TD website - the only way to get a sight of them is to order a pack - unless some kind fellow such as you shows us some. My ECW figures are fine - the slightly cartoon-like quality suits the period, and the fact that some of the chaps are as wide as they are high is explained (if it matters) by their wearing a buff coat and lots of sweaters. I wasn't sure whether the TD tendency for extreme poses would sit well with WW1, but these look good.

    For me, the chief concern with any manufacturer is how well they sit with other makes, by size and style - it is not good to be stuck with a single supplier, especially if they have a limited range and/or go out of business. I have been in this situation so many times that you would think I would have learned something (but, alas…). Anyway - this is all statement of the glaringly obvious - very nice figures, and I did manage to sign up to the blog, though Google wanted to know my inside-leg measurement and blood group first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the lack of pictures in any range, they seem to be doing themselves out of a lot of custom. The TD WW1 range are smaller than their 1/72nd range (they are slightly smaller than Airfix).

      Even though they are no obviously compatible ranges side by side with these figures, they have been around for long enough to be considered "safe" and this range is probably the fullest in any one manufacturers catalogue.

      Glad you can sign up as well-welcome aboard (again!).

      Delete
  2. Very nice figures - remind me a lot of the 'feel' of the Airfix range which I loved as a kid. What size of force are you intending to raise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian, Not sure about the complete size at the moment. I have a starting idea of about 150-200 infantry plus support per side (roughly 3 battalions). Mainly depends on how many I can cram onto my table (10' x 6') without it getting too crowded and losing flanks. It should take the rest of 2014 to collect the early war Europe figures before I look at German East Africa!

      Delete
  3. Excellent paint work! I wouldn't say it is an abandoned project, just one that had been set aside for a spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right. I have a lot of "set aside" projects in boxes in the attic!

      Delete
  4. Looking good Matt, nice little figures are they not.

    Great to see you back and blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you back on line and painting. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for popping by and it is actually very nice to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are excellent! Looking forward to seeing more but 50 man units!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking minis, very nice paint job!

    ReplyDelete