Saturday 21 March 2020

The Lincolnshire Regiment Revisited

Rather incredibly it has been five years since I decided to start a collection of 20mm Colonials for the "Sands of the Sudan" ruleset. I was not happy with the paintwork on my first figures and so have started again from scratch. Here is how version 2 of the collection rolls:


The figures are Jacklex, of course, and the majority are new castings. The new owner Mark Lodge has done a fantastic job with new moulds so they are a far superior product than the tired old moulds used before. He has even added a few figures like the standard bearer (I know but he does look great!). 

Oh dear - I've just noticed the missing helmet patches on some of the rear rank! That will be sorted tomorrow.

The paint job is functional with very limited shading. Unit sizes in Sands of the Sudan are enormous - I need to paint up one more 12 figure company and the Colonel to bring the unit up to its 60 figure full strength. Guards Regiments are 72 figures!

I have an Indian Army mountain gun and crew awaiting basing so may even have another post tomorrow. The reason for this all this productivity? This week was supposed to be the first foreign holiday we were going to have without the kids in 27 years. Oh well, I would only have been sitting on the beach reading about toy soldiers!



I have a second infantry battalion and contingent of sailors that I started too. I will complete them first before sending off for the extra figures to bring them all up to full strength.

9 comments:

  1. Great looking regiment. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Your shots are cinematic, Matt. Pure Alexander Korda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking toys Matt...
    60 figures.... eek!... I struggle with 24...
    They will look magnificent on the table though.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  4. They regiments are HUGE! As Aly points out, 60 at a go would likely kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful unit Matt and interesting that there are new Jacklex moulds, I could be tempted to buy some more in that case!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you like them Gentlemen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive and beautiful lines of fire!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's what I call a regiment of infantry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great! I'm looking forward to adding some Jacklex ACW figures to my ranks.

    ReplyDelete