Sunday 25 July 2021

Glory!

As promised here is the Commanding Officer  for my Union "army", none other than Colonel Robert Gould Shaw and his men of the 54th Massachusetts Regiment.


I wish I had stuck to my original plan to finish these figures last week as by sheer fluke it was the anniversary of their famous attack on Fort Wagner on 18th July 1863 - immortalised in the 1989 movie "Glory". In my opinion this is the best of the Civil War movies. 

You've got to love that flag too!

The figures are Perry plastics with metal head swaps from pack "ACW26 - Black Union heads wearing forage cap", the details are amazing. Flesh tones are from the Foundry palettes 121A-C and 124A-C.

Shaw is a metal Perry figure with the beard adjusted to look like a goatee.

I also finished that gun and crew from last week, taking the Union army to currently sit at 2 x 12 figure infantry units, 2 x 6 figure skirmishers and 1 x gun and crew. I will be adding more 54th Mass units in the coming weeks as the clock is still ticking!


For an excellent 45 minute documentary of the Regiment's history, narrated by Morgan Freeman, I heartily recommend you head here.


I am currently working on another batch of Jacklex "Classic" Confederates for next Sunday

14 comments:

  1. Lovely work Matt…

    I shall give that documentary a watch…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. A worthy choice of regiments and a great movie.

    One of my friends was with one of the white regiments in that final battle. (A reenactor not a verrrry old friend).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching films like this the reenactors really do come into their own.

      Delete
  3. Nice work Matt and I love those flags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your force is shaping up a treat, must concur on the film and documentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guilty secret however is that John Wayne in "The horse Soldiers" is my favourite of the genre - after all it was this film and the Airfix Civil War soldiers which hooked me in this marvellous hobby!

      Delete
  5. Glory got me back into the ACW. Great figures, but looking forward to more Jacklex!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeffers - I have had a good day with them and nearly completed another Reb infantry unit. So much so I have undercoated some cavalry for support!

      Delete
  6. Very stylish, Matt.
    It was John Huston's Red Badge of Courage which did it for me!

    ReplyDelete