Sunday 1 August 2021

I Got Distracted

It was all going so well. Another Jacklex Confederate  infantry unit in the bag and the first mounted rebel cavalry glued up and waiting for the undercoat. Then I got distracted.


As some may remember 15 plus years or so ago I launched another blog (long since deleted) called "In The Grand Manner" intended to cover the creation of the kind of Gilder Napoleonics I could only dream of back in the day. I painted one base or so and then dropped the idea. Well this unit has been sitting idly by, occasionally having another base completed over the years.


Then this week I decided to bite the bullet and finish the last 12 figures. So here you have it, a 36 man Connoisseur Miniatures French battalion over a decade in the making.


They had to be glossy!


I have no plans to pick the idea up again (even though I may paint up the Hinchliffe Foremost Scot's Greys one day just for the hell of it). I do however have a Hinchliffe ECW glossy project planned.

I will make up for this next week with a bigger Classic 20mm ACW update. 

24 comments:

  1. Bit like my John Sanders Desert plan which fell apart when I realised how much converting I had to do! An admirable aim, though, so keep these for display. No less than they deserve. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful figures , love the high gloss !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and yes it was a gloss no-brainer!

      Delete
  3. Excellent work a lovely conversation piece for the gaming room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed...but how did you know that I talk to my toys?

      Delete
  4. The same Waterloo to Mons book was bought for me as a present as a teenager in the early 80s and was really useful for uniform painting. I still have it, still read it and still use it. I like the fact it ended / stretched to with the early days of Mons etc (and WW1 Airfix figures).

    A decade to complete a unit is not so very bad. I am still finishing off paint, basing and flocking Airfix and Peter Laing figures from the 1970s and 1980s ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a lot of mileage out of my copy. And yes the Airfix WW1 (and some Peter Laing later) did sterling service for the final chapter.

      Delete
  5. A beautifully painted and presented unit! Very similar to my own (younger) dreams, but alas. . .

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wonder how Peter gilder ever had time to paint so many, so well. Ok in later life he had others working for him but still, I'm retired and cannot turn his numbers around!

      Delete
  6. I always liked those big units, great painting and the gloss suits them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee - it's definitely mandatory to have such megalomaniac dreams sometimes!

      Delete
  7. Must be something in the air. I've been tackling a few unfinished projects recently, the latest being a conversion of a broken Britains charging highlander into an officer which I started...well around the turn of the century. Is it a mass subconscious fear that the end is nigh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear - I never thought of it that way. I have been "finalising" lots of stuff actually, the garden, the loft etc.etc. Perhaps I'll check all the birds aren't migrating south tomorrow?

      Delete
  8. Very fine, one can't beat a bit of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have ordered my rose-tinted glasses from the optician this very afternoon!

      Delete
  9. Delightfully shiny Matt…

    What do you mean your not going to pick up the idea again… your a Wargamer… 😂

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking unit Matt and with a proper gloss finish too! Best start another unit soon if it is going to put off Armageddon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put that way I wouldn't be doing it for me but for the whole of humanity!

      Delete